Thursday, February 23, 2012

Silver leaf and more


My second attempt at patinizing silver leaf was successful. After applying the leaf I laid crumpled tissue paper in the bowl and sprayed the paper with a solution of 1 part liver of sulphur concentrate to 70 parts espresso coffee at 120 degrees F. I placed a plate on top to stop evaporation and left it for 45 minutes before rinsing it with warm water from a spray bottle to stop the colouring. (I think my first effort last summer failed because I used a different manufacturers silver leaf which was probably imitation).

Looking forward to using the effect on hollow forms and platters.

The next two pieces I used my £2.50 'airbrush' for decoration and finally a salad bowl in sycamore.


Bowl in sycamore 8" x 4 1/2"
acrylic paint, silver leaf, varnish

Platter in sycamore 15" x 2"
acrylic paint, shellac, and wax


Bowl in apple 6" x 4"
acrylic paint and varnish

Salad bowl in sycamore 15" x 4"
walnut oil

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.